Interested in music? Interested in complex data? Open to challenging role with travel, music and business? This role might be for you. The Global leader in collecting performance royalties is looking for a Commercial Affairs Manager to be responsible for maximising worldwide revenue collection by ensuring existing contacts with Collective Management Organizations (“CMOs”) are properly enforced and that new contracts are negotiated. You will act as a point of escalation on payment and enforcement matters when the International Operations team experience compliance issues. The Commercial Affairs Manager will also act occasionally as commercial lead when other senior team members are unavailable so gravitas and seniority and a desire and ability to manage teams are also key.
You will act as a key person, building the strategic plan for the department and working with the Project Manager and Operations Manager to align it to the departmental operational Plan.
The Commercial Affairs Manager is responsible for ensuring existing contacts are properly enforced and that new contracts are negotiated. You will act as a point of escalation on payment and enforcement matters when the International Operations team experience compliance issues. As Commercial Affairs manager, you will be responsible for identifying and actively managing persistent under-performance by clients. Working with both the in-house and external lawyers, in the UK and worldwide to devise strategies and drive forward the effective enforcement of members’ rights to receive fair and equitable payment from clients, The Commercial Affairs Manager will prepare internal and external documentation to support the decision making process around the conclusion of new contract and enforcement action, including Board Papers and presentations.
Role and responsibilities
1. To work with CMOs to secure new deals, drive revenue streams and ensure that existing contracts are being enforced.
2. To act as an International SME working positively and cooperatively on joint initiatives across the company as and when required in order to assist in achievement of the overall strategic objectives.
3. To build an internal and external network, developing positive working relationships at an executive level with internal stakeholders, other CMOs and third parties, developing knowledge of best practice and new developments within the industry in order to ensure effectiveness in role.
4. To work with the International Territories Manager to deliver new CMO agreements and to support the on boarding process for new agreements and CMOs.
5. To help devise, implement, operate and keep under review the process by which CMO enforcement matters are escalated to the Legal & Business Affairs team. This shall include the management and recording of referrals to the Legal & Business Affairs team and workflow between the two departments.
6. To ensure relevant information regarding the performance, success and cost of the CMO legal enforcement service by the role holder is continually captured and analysed so as to facilitate prompt and effective ongoing reporting to the Director of International (and other relevant stakeholders as appropriate) and identification of proposals supported by business cases.
7. To highlight areas of risk in and to the business to International Management team and support in the management of risks.
8. To proactively develop and maintain an appropriate level of required knowledge on copyright licensing matters and related legal issues (including court procedures).
9. To proactively develop an understanding of CMO operating models to a degree that enables their market share and penetration to be analysed and forecast to identify revenue opportunities.
10. Working collaboratively with CMOs to ensure interests are effectively managed to ensure revenues are maximized to the benefit of members.
11. To provide leadership and direction to the International team to ensure the delivery of high performance, acting as an enthusiastic, positive and motivated role model and coach.
12. Developing and sharing expertise in music rights and distribution policies of overseas counterparts in order to provide an excellent service to all customers and enhance their reputation.
13. To contribute to the relevant areas of the communications and marketing plan to CMOs and members.
14. To proactively manage personal development, in order to increase performance levels and provide opportunities for career development, including but not limited to the development of an expert knowledge of the industry, music rights and the distribution policies.
The successful Commercial Affairs Manager will have the following:
• Educated to a minimum of a degree level (or equivalent) standard
• Experience of delivering multimillion £ revenue budgets in a target driven environment
• Experience of negotiating commercial agreements
• Experience of reviewing contracts and negotiating with relevant contractual language.
• Experience of matrix management
• Knowledge of the music industry, particularly collective music licensing.
• Knowledge of music licensing.
• Knowledge of driving change
• Working with complex business challenges and applicable business logic to make informed revenue budget business decisions
• Building positive relationships with all stakeholders and work with and motivate people at all levels
• Draft and prepare instructions for internal or external legal teams
• Computer literate, with an advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office and CRM systems e.g. Salesforce, MS Dynamics
• Work accurately and effectively under pressure, prioritising tasks and delivering high quality work to deadline
• Communicate effectively in writing and verbally (presentations, business plans, status reports, process enhancement requirement definition documents)
• Solve problems quickly and sensitively and find new solutions
• Positive, enthusiastic and able to create and secure commitment to achieve Company, departmental and individual objectives
• Able to adapt communication style to suit the audience and present soundand well-reasoned arguments to convince others in a way that results in agreement or behavior change
• Flexible attitude to work and prepared to go the ‘extra mile’ to achieve tasks, objectives and targets
• Able to recognise the need and then provide excellent internal and external customer service
• Experience working in a collective licensing company advantageous.
• Experience of International Copyright Regime.
• Knowledge of International Music Licensing companies.
• Knowledge of the music industry and collective music licensing
• Conversant in at least one foreign language